3.13.2009

Our Wedding Cake Tasting

Okay, so the cake tasting went quicker than we thought, in total about 20 minutes. It took us longer to get there in the Chicago traffic (50 minutes). Once we got there, we both expected to be served a bunch of different, glorious layered cakes bursting with flavors of all sorts. And just maybe, a glass of bubbly champagne in one hand with a fresh slice of strawberry to top it off. Well, we guessed wrong. :( I think the movies blurred our perception of a true cake tasting.

Also, I thought I would be working with a sketch/chef artist to help my vision come to life. Or at least, possibly a computer rendering to see what my final product will look like. And again, I was wrong. No creative collaboration what-so-ever!! They pretty much went off what I told them. Good thing I came prepared with printouts of designs that I liked and my yellow & blue color palette for reference.

Anyway, here are pics of what we did have. Two plates – one plate was covered with all sorts of cake filling & fruit preserves and the other was heart-shaped cake breads. We essentially tore up the two plates trying to find the perfect combination.

And here's what we are going with... a 3-layer cake. The bottom and top cake are going to be a fluffy, chocolate bread with white chocolate mousse and fresh mixed berries. The middle layer is almond cake with only white mousse to counterbalance the sweet almond flavor. As for the design, you will have to wait and see like us cuz we have no clue what it will exactly look like until the actual date! The outside design will be sculpted out of buttercream to form the design though.

This is a picture of us on sugar overload. I can't even hold the camera phone straight.

For any of you newbie wedding couples out there, unless you are going to spend oodles of money on your cake, don't expect what we expected because it's not true. :) Our cake tasting was the "norm" according to other people that we talked to.

Tell us your experience if you felt the same way as us going into it...

No comments:

Post a Comment